Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yummy Winter Dinner


Yesterday I made some italian bread bowls (Next time it's whole grain or something yummier). I also made my own chicken enchilada soup! We ate it today because friends invited me over for an awesome dinner last night.
Well, I will share my yummy recipes....I know why people don't make their own bread anymore...it's very time consuming and most women I know don't have time for it...however....everyone should try it at least once in their lives. It's nice to know that it can still be done and taste 100 times better than the stuff you buy in the store!
Ok, the bread first:

I found this on the web and tweaked it a little...

2 packets of 1/4 yeast
2 1/2 cups of warm (not hot, not cold) water
2 teaspoons of sea salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil
7 cups of flour (white) if you want italian
1/4 cup of corn meal....which I forgot
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

In a large bowl, let the yeast dissolve and stand until creamy like 10 minutes
add your salt, olive oil and 4 cups of flour and beat until mixed well. Stir in the rest 1/2 cup at a time until well blended
Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth ( about 6-7 minutes)this is hard work!)
Put the dough into a lightly oiled, large bowl and cover with damp cloth...put this in a nice warm NOT HOT place (if it's too hot it will kill the yeast!) someplace draft free. Let double in size...about 45 minutes.
Punch the dough down and separate into 8 pieces.
Form those pieces into round balls about 4" across
Put these on a lightly oiled baking pan
Cover and let rise about another 35 minutes or until doubled in size
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
Beat egg white and 1 tablespoon cold water in small bowl.
brush top of bread and bake bread 15 minutes. Brush the bread again and bake 10-15 more minutes.
Cut off tops and hollow out and fill with favorite soup!

Now the soup....
I made this one up thought it would be yummy...
3-4 pieces of med-lg size chicken
8 cups of water
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chicken base or substitute
1 large onion
small mushrooms (just because I like them) enchiladas don't generally have them in them
2 small cans of green chile or fresh is great
one can cream of chicken soup
I made mine in the crockpot and let it cook overnight and added the soup about an hour before....I also thickened it up with some cornstarch.
Put in your bread bowl (or whatever) add cheddar cheese or whatever condiment you like on top and voila! A great soup for a cold, dreary, winter day.
Well, i'm off to do some more cleaning to this old place....Can't stand clutter, especially in the winter. Ta Ta and have a super Sunday where ever your at today!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: